POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3dstudiomax -> povray : Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dstudiomax -> povray
From: Lance Birch
Date: 29 Sep 1999 08:28:02
Message: <37f205d2@news.povray.org>
> What's "specific lighting"? And wasn't somebody working on a patch for
> translucency?

Specific lighting was discussed a while ago too but I'm not sure if anyone
did anything about it.

It allows you to say, light a sphere with a light that affects no other
objects, or, have a light that lights all object except some certain
objects.  Or, also for example, it allows you to make the light ONLY affect
specular highlights or ONLY affect the diffuse highlights on an object.

Using that you can create some very detailed lighting sets.  One usage that
I found a massive bonus was when I was designing and interface in 3D that
had a lot of little pipes and rings in it.  I'd used a heap of little red
lights and set them to specifically affect onto the specular highlights of
only certain objects so that each little piped section could have a nice red
highlighted tinge to it, while all the other objects had a directional
ambient diffuse tinge.

Another REALLY useful feature of the modelling system is being able to pick
a light and align it by using normal to light alignment.  You just select
the light and click on Normal Alignment and you then run the mouse over an
objects surface and it places the light so that the highlight is where your
mouse is on the object.  Excellent for fine tuning.